My Grandmother bought some stocks for me in 2006, but I have no idea where they are or how to access them.

Read the Story

Show Top Comments

If the brokerage firm just shut down there may be news articles about them. Or even their web site may mention what you should do to find assets. There should be some kind of representative with the assets now.


Google the company and terms like “sale” “Closure” “merger” and other like terms. They may have sold the portfolios of their customers before the closure.


Contact the stock transfer agent. More than likely Computershare. The transfer agent should have record of your ownership, even if owned book entry at the now defunct brokerage.


Every publicly traded equity (stock) has a CUSIP # assigned to it. This number and your title of the account (assuming it’s your or grandparents name) is registered with the company. If you can remember the company name then you can find where your shares are kept..


Do you have a billing statement of some sort, hopefully with an account number? It can show what kind of account it was. I had stock from a relative but it was in something like a “transfer on death” type of account that ended up in my mother’s name, and she eventually transferred it to me. If you can show it should be yours, you might be able to get an active brokerage to pull the assets into a current account. If it was in your Grandmother’s name but intended for you, it’s going to be a little harder. You don’t mention if your Grandmother passed, but your having to do this yourself leads me to believe she did (sorry) which means the unclaimed property might be in her name. I’m not sure how it plays out in this scenario, but probate lawyers might have to be involved. Another scenario is that it has for whatever reason been sold since that letter and there’s nothing to find. Best of luck to you.