What are some words you know about in English that have a weirdly specific meaning?

Read the Story

Show Top Comments

Spaghettification It’s the term to describe how one dies to a black hole. Due to the rapid increase in gravity, your body would be ripped apart into a single file atom line forever traveling towards the singularity Edit: I should also add that spaghettification can also apply to any object that stretches in length due to gravity


Tmesis. This one is doubly cool as it’s the only modern word in English with tm together at the beginning. It is interjecting a word between syllables of another word, like fan-fucking-tastic or abso-goddamn-lutely


Petrichor: the smell after rain.


Palimpsest: a manuscript or piece of writing material on which the original writing has been erased to make room for later writing but of which traces remain.


Kenopsia The eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that is usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet.