Iirc dandelion greens were one of the things my grandma survived on during the war. The ones enemy soldiers didn’t loot. lol
I should just post all these war survival tips, cause they’re actually all very sustainable, too. Like some became extremely sparing with whatever they consume their whole lives.
Edit: I forgot the most important thing, it’s beautiful!!
My garden is 99% dandelion at the moment so it’s kind of appealing. But the other 1% is cat and/or fox shit.
just to be aware if you are harvesting from a public park or any managed area they may have been sprayed with roundup as they are seen as a pest.
Make a simple syrup out of the violet flowers! It’s fucking gooooooood.
You can dip the dandelion heads in a breading (or egg and then rolled in parm cheese) and pan fry them in a little bit of vegetable oil. They are really yummy and not bitter 🙂
EDIT: here is a recipe! Im not sure if links are allowed so I’m not crediting the website I got it on, but this is a very basic recipe so you’ll find it in many places.
This is for a large batch, I would half it or quarter it.
60-70 Dandelion flower tops
3 eggs, OR (sub one-fourth cup (65 grams) unsweetened applesauce to replace one egg).
1 cup milk/non dairy milk.
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 c. whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. fine ground cornmeal or sub gluten free option. (You can use pancake mix as well or parmesan cheese).
Oil of your choice – enough for 1/8-1/4″ in your hot cast iron skillet.
add optional seasoning.
Dandelion Fritters Directions:
Gather Dandelion tops during the morning when they have opened up their bright and cheerful faces to the sunshine. Leave 1/4″ of the stem as a handle. Harvest only from a non-chemically treated area.
Rinse in cool water and pat dry on a paper towel.
Heat your cast iron skillet and melt coconut oil for frying, just a little deeper than if you were making pancakes.
For the batter, combine egg, milk, and your flour in a bowl and mix to remove lumps. At this point, if you prefer sweeter fritters, add a little maple syrup or honey, or cinnamon and a tsp. of vanilla extract. For savory fritters, you might add fresh or dried parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, chives, or even cilantro or parmesan cheese. In addition, we like to use a 1/8 tsp. of cayenne powder for a kick of flavor.
Prepare a skillet on the stove with oil over medium heat. I prefer my cast iron.
Holding one of the flowers by the greens at the base, twirl the flower into the batter until covered in batter.
Place it into the skillet, petals down, and continue until the skillet is full. Brown the first side, then flip over to brown the other side. The stems will collapse nicely until you have mini-dandelion pancakes. We like dandelion fritters crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I keep the fritters warm in the oven to serve the family all at once. When finished, serve hot.